Although blood collection is a routine procedure requested by your physician, there are some potential risks:
· Bruising at the puncture site
· Bleeding from the puncture site
· Minor discomfort
· Tingling of the arm
· Painful swelling
Follow these steps to ensure risks are limited:
· Apply immediate pressure on puncture site for a minimum of 5 minutes.
· Leave the bandage on for at least 15 minutes.
· Carry items with the opposite arm and avoid lifting heavy objects for at least 2 hours after blood collection.
· Avoid activities that may put stress on the puncture site.
· Inform the staff before collection if you have had a mastectomy.
If you experience symptoms related to the risks of blood collection, please contact your family physician.