The Molecular Hematology division performs:
- Advanced biochemical (protein) and molecular (gene) analysis for disorders of hemostasis and thrombosis including: carrier detection for hemophilia A and B, von Willebrand disease subtyping by VWF multimer analysis, and inherited risk factors for thrombosis (factor V Leiden and factor II polymorphism analysis)
- Molecular analysis by RT-PCR for diagnosis and monitoring of patients with hematologic malignancies including: CML, ALL and APL
- Molecular analysis of blood cell chimerism by VNTR-PCR after bone marrow/stem cell transplantation
- ELISA based screening for antibodies associated with Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia (HIT)
Molecular Hematology testing must be booked by calling the Molecular Hematology Laboratory at 770-3699.
Regular hours of operation (exclusive of statutory holidays): 0730-1630h Monday to Friday
Completing the Test Request Form
See Molecular Hematology Requisition
Specimen Labeling Criteria
All specimens must be labeled with the following information fixed to the specimen container:
- Patient's last name and given name
- Date of birth
- Hospital or provincial health care number
- Date and time of collection
If specimens are not labeled or are mislabeled, a recollection may be necessary, resulting in a delay in processing.
For specimen requirements and handling instructions refer to individual tests in the above alphabetical list.