The Tissue Typing division performs:
- HLA typing (Serological and Molecular) for Bone Marrow Transplantation. Refer to Change in HLA Nomenclature April 2010.
- HLA antibody investigations for refractory patients and Bone Marrow Recipients receiving platelet transfusions
- HLA typing, crossmatching, and HLA antibody investigations (cytotoxic antibodies) for Renal Transplantation (Cadaver and Living Related Donors)
- Typings for aid in diagnosis of certain diseases.
HLA typing and crossmatches must be booked by calling the Tissue Typing Laboratory at 770-3652.
Regular hours of operation (exclusive of statutory holidays): 0700-1615h Monday - Friday.
Completing the Test Request Form
See Completing the Requisition.
Specimen Labelling Criteria
See Specimen Identification (Labelling).
Peripheral blood specimens for HLA typing:
- Collect in ACD-A tubes. ACD-B, EDTA and sodium heparin tubes are acceptable if ACD-A tubes are not available
- Renal donor crossmatches and recipient autocrossmatches MUST be collected in ACD-A tubes
- Hemolyzed, clotted or frozen specimens are not accepted
- Sub-optimal specimens may yield unreliable results
HLA Antibody investigation and renal recipient crossmatches or recipient autocrossmatches should be collected in plain clotted tubes, NOT SST.