REQ9032AP Anatomic Pathology Acute Care Requisition
Specimen Handling and Transport
From sites within Calgary:
- Place the specimen on a saline moistened Telfa Pad. Place the Telfa Pad and specimen in a screw-capped container.
- Place the container with the specimen in a larger container filled with ice.
- Label the container according to CLS requirements. Container must be securely tightened to eliminate leakage.
- The specimen MUST be transported (on ice) to the Anatomic Pathology Lab immediately.
- Specimen must arrive in laboratory prior to 14:00 to allow for proper handling.
From sites outside of Calgary:
- If the nerve is less than 1 cm in length, submit the entire specimen in 10% formalin (NBF).
- If the nerve is 1 cm or greater in length, cut the specimen into 2 equal parts, and submit half in 10% formalin (NBF) and half in 2.5% glutaraldehyde.
- Label the container(s) according to CLS requirements. Container must be securely tightened to eliminate leakage.
For further inquiries, call CLS Neuropathology at 403-944-1576.